This Hoot video also includes:
Is it ever ok to stand up to a bully? A great character-building lesson focuses on standing up for one's self and communicating needs. Middle school pupils observe a clip from the movie Hoot and discuss the art of effective speaking and listening skills.
- Invite learners to share a time when they stood up for themselves in a tense situation
- Ask the class why they think Beatrice didn't have a comeback when she was confronted about her behavior
- If possible, show additional scenes from the movie to provide a little more back story to the clip; seeing what the main characters are doing before this scene would be helpful
- The listening skills group activity is a great way for the class to identify what qualities good listeners have
- Dialog in the clip is very realistic and impactful