Teams must determine the size of cavern needed to house the citizens of Alabraska to protect them from the asteroid impact. Using scaling properties, teams first determining the number of people that could sleep in a classroom and then scaling it up to find the volume needed to house the citizens.
- Calculate the volume of a local college or NFL football stadium
- Review common conversions and the formulas used for measurement conversions
- The class should be familiar with linear measurements, area, and volume
- The second challenge in a unit of eight
- The worksheet provides hints to the pupils on the calculations they need
- The activity includes some common area comparisons
- Though volume is considered in the calculations needed for living space, the final calculations only pertain to area