This How Tall Is the School's Flagpole? lesson plan also includes:
Let the class use a clino—what? Groups build a clinometer to measure angles of elevation. Using their new tools, teams record the measurements made and calculate the height of two objects around the school. Teammates then make a presentation outlining the steps they took and measurements they found.
- Provide a demonstration on how to read the clinometer to get the angle of elevation
- Conduct a quick review of finding missing sides of a right triangle with trigonometric functions
- Individuals should be familiar with trigonometric ratios
- Includes two options for building the clinometer
- Provides a graphic representation on how to calculate heights using the clinometer as a reminder to include the user's height