This How to Eat a Forest - Southern Pine Beetle-Style lesson plan also includes:
Small but mighty! Discover how one beetle decimates an entire forest. Participants play a game to simulate a growing southern pine beetle population. After observing various possible scenarios, scholars reflect on the role different variables have in tree loss.
- Have class members create public service announcements about the southern pine beetle and its effect on forest health
- Requires advance staging and some materials collection from outside the learning space
- Lesson five in the six-part Beyond the Trees series
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides scientists with experience using modeling and simulations to make predictions
- Teacher notes include question prompts and responses for meaningful group discussion