This How to Read a Poem handout & reference also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
How do you figure out what a poem means? Show young readers that, rather than turning to search engines, they can answer a series of questions to find meaning in a poem. The approach detailed in a one-page worksheet will work with any poem and is appropriate for middle and high school learners. A list of poetry-related literary terms is also included.
- Presents a clear, step-by-step approach to poetry analysis
- Includes a list of related terms
- No specific examples included
- Instructor would need to provide an annotated poem, or model the procedure as guided practice, before asking groups or individuals to try the approach