This Human Nature: Good or Evil? activity & project also includes:
Whether humans are inherently good or bad is a question that has occupied philosophers for many years. Invite your pupils to consider this question with an essay. Learners must choose between the theories of Locke and Hobbes and back up their claims with evidence. A rubric and additional focus questions are included.
- Social studies and language arts teachers can collaborate to teach the material necessary for this assignment (background on the Enlightenment and persuasive writing skills)
- Pair this assignment with additional instruction on and practice with writing thesis statements and backing up claims with evidence to support learners fully
- Incorporate this into a project or unit on human nature in general
- While the resource does include a rubric, it's very limited; you may wish to add extra space for writing in comments
- Since this is a Word document, you can easily edit the specific requirements and point amounts for the activity
- Includes a clear prompt and supplemental questions to assist learners as they compose their essays