Shed light on seven African-American women whose beginnings may have been humble, but whose contributions were mighty. Watch a social studies video to gain a brief introduction to Madame C.J. Walker, Phillis Wheatley, Harriet Tubman, Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman, Cathay Williams, Condoleezza Rice, and Michelle Obama.
- Show the video during Black History Month or Women's History Month
- Flip your classroom; assign the link for homework then discuss its contents when learners return to school the next day
- Schedule time in the library, computer lab, or on mobile learning devices to discover additonal information about the women in focus
- An ad plays at the start of the video
- Inspires learners to work hard for what they believe, even if their starting point is less than optimal
- Provides each women's name and profession at the start of each description
- Little information is presented