This “I Am” Poems lesson plan also includes:
Middle schoolers express themselves with a series of activities focused on revealing their identities. After discussing their hopes for their future selves, class members work on I Am poems about their own personality traits, and draft an identity statement about their school as a whole.
- Encourage learners to decorate the final drafts of their poems and to participate in a gallery walk in the classroom
- Present the school version of the poem to the administration, and include a reading or engraving of the poem at a school assembly or building dedication
- The third part of a four-lesson unit
- Concept posters are in color; consider printing once and laminating
- Provides several examples of I Am poems for learners to model their writing
- Promotes collaboration in the establishment of a positive school community