This I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings unit also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Maya Angelou's first autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is the anchor text in a unit that asks readers to examine how personal relationships and the environment impact a writer's point of view. Class members complete a variety of activities designed to help them develop a sense of historical empathy.
- As an introduction to the concept of empathy, have class members journal about a time they, or someone they know, made a personal connection to an experience they read about in a story
- No links are provided to the poems, videos, and paintings required for the 15-lesson unit; however, they are available on the Internet
- Requires considerable prep time to locate and acquire the required resources
- The 15 lesson plans in the unit are richly detailed
- Resources include paintings by Jacob Lawrence and poems by Angelou, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and James Weldon Johnson