This Impact Events and the Earth System activities & project also includes:
What would happen to Earth if an asteroid struck it? Assist young scientists as they explore the mechanics of an impact event and effects caused by it; calculate the energy released once an asteroid strikes Earth's surface; and compare natural vs. man-made disasters. They conclude by investigating the chances of an actual collision occurring in the near future and how to potentially prepare for this.
- Have pupils create a model of an asteroid or comet, detailing important structures
- Direct students to research historical comets and discuss what effect they had on the solar system and Earth
- Provide assistance with web research and scientific calculations as needed
- This is the fourth in a series of seven related resources
- Provides the opportunity to expand on concepts listed and apply these to events in our present environment
- Document permissions do not allow for printing