This In the Time of the Butterflies: Biography lesson plan also includes:
Start off your study of In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez with background knowledge and biographical information. Class members begin a reader's journal with an entry based on the included audio guide. They then read and discuss several essays about the author and the setting. They write a brief composition in their own writing styles.
- Start the writing assignment together with a class brainstorming activity and a teacher model
- The page numbers listed in the lesson don't really correspond with the essays named; you can find these essays on the site (linked in the materials tab) listed under Introduction and About the Author
- Other handouts and essays listed can also be found in the materials tab
- The audio guide may contain spoilers; you may wish to break it up over the course of the unit or save it for later on
- Includes a homework assignment that provides more historical background and sets class members on a schedule for reading the novel
- The audio guide is well done