This In Your Shadow—Measuring Up lesson plan also includes:
Let your scholars foreshadow unknown heights. The class uses proportions to solve height problems. Using the ratio of their shadows to their heights, pupils calculate the heights of objects by measuring the shadows. The lesson is the sixth in a seven-part series on measurement.
- Measure shadows at different times of the day to verify the heights of the objects
- Lead a discussion on similar triangles to explain the concept
- Pupils should be familiar with proportions
- Includes suggestions for assessments
- Provides a list of questions for teacher reflection