This Indian Removal and Forced Assimilation lesson plan also includes:
- Graphic Organizer
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
It can be difficult to describe the removal and forced assimilation of indians during Andrew Jackson's presidency to a class. Reading the manuscript of the Indian Removal Act and analyzing photographs and political cartoons from the time period are valuable ways to access this piece of American history.
- Great links to primary source databases of Native American assimilation
- As this is a supplementary lesson, instructor will need to provide a significant amount of background information and contextual support for primary sources before beginning
- Separate or embedded lessons, such as how to properly use a primary source analysis tool/worksheet or how to complete a graphic organizer for a persuasive essay, may be required
- You may want to include analysis of additional primary sources beyond what is designated in the lesson plan.