This Inscribed and Circumscribed Polygons—Pi Filling, Archimedes Style! lesson plan also includes:
Watch the amazement of your pupils as they work to discover the number pi. Using polygons inscribed and circumscribed about the unit circle, they calculate the areas that approach the value of pi, the area of the unit circle. They then create an algorithm to calculate the never-ending digits of the famous number.
- Have pupils create a poster with the different polygon images and calculations
- Expects prior knowledge of the area formula for regular polygons
- Requires graphing calculators
- The first of a series of two lessons on pi
- Includes ideas for assessment questions
- Provides additional resources on the same topic