This It’s the Right Thing lesson plan also includes:
- "Triangles are Like Humans"
- "Triangles: A Guided PowerPoint Presentation"
- “Worksheet: Identifying Types of Triangles”
- “Activity: 60 Second Name the Triangle Game”
- “Worksheet: Measuring Angles”
- “Worksheet: Creating a Right Angle”
- "Sample: Height/Shadow Spreadsheet"
- “Activity: The Shadow Knows!”
- "Sample: Height to Shadow"
- “Worksheet: Pythagoras and the Pythagorean Theorem”
- “It’s the Right Thing Rubric”
- "Answer Sheet: Identifying Types of Triangles"
- "Answer Sheet: Pythagoras and the Pythagorean Theorem"
- "How Can This Be True?"
- “Step Sheet: Using a Projection Device”
- “Step Sheet: Creating a PowerPoint Presentation”
- “Step Sheet: Putting the Slide Show Together”
- "Step Sheet: Creating a Template in PowerPoint"
- “Step Sheet: Gathering and Inserting Electronic Images”
- "Step Sheet: Inserting Hyperlinks in a PowerPoint Slideshow"
- “Step Sheet: Inserting Text and Clip Art or Graphics”
- “Step Sheet: Recording Sound into the Presentation”
- “Step Sheet: Starting a PowerPoint Project”
- "Step Sheet: Teacher-Directed Demonstrations"
- Join to access all included materials
Measure that shadow, and you'll find the height of the building! Learners study concepts related to right triangles during this extended unit project. They identify right triangles in the world, find heights of objects using similar triangles, and apply the Pythagorean Theorem to find the side lengths of their self-proclaimed special right triangle.
- If completing the entire unit is not possible, choose key activities to use
- Requires Internet access, computers with software, and digital cameras for pupils to use
- Uses digital protractors, but it may be more applicable to have pupils use an actual protractor
- Full project requires about three weeks for pupils to complete
- Includes all handout, keys, and guides for this three-week unit
- Unit project creates a sensible progression of content; activities within the project lead to a strong understanding of the standards
- Content has a strong anchor in real-world application