This Keeping Up with the Joneses worksheet also includes:
Most learners are familiar with the phrase, "Keep up with the Joneses." This resource offers one possible explanation for the origin of the expression, examines the some effects of this consumerism, and then asks readers to consider why people want to keep up with trends.
- Ask the class to generate a list of the status symbols popular with their age groups
- Craft several text-based questions and ask individuals to respond to them before launching into the discussion questions
- Other resources with similar themes may be accessed using the link provided below
- The statistics offered encourages readers to consider why Americans seem to be more prone to follow status trends
- No text-based questions, which would encourage close reading, are included