This Laws of Exponents Pt. 1 lesson plan also includes:
Create a classroom of law-abiding mathematicians! Explore the meaning of exponential expressions that require multiplication and division. The activity asks individuals to write exponential expressions in ways that are equivalent. As learners recognize patterns, they develop a connection to the laws of exponents.
- Create a bulletin board with students' work discovering the exponent properties
- Have pupils use manipulatives such as algebra tiles to model problems according to the visuals provided in the lesson
- Requires familiarity with the meaning of the parts of an exponential expression
- Emphasizes the relationship between patterns and properties
- Encourages multiple strategies for approaching a problem