This Lesson 4: Instruct On Prosody; Explore Words and Phrases In Sparklers lesson plan also includes:
Introduce the importance of prosody with a instructional activity that spotlights the free-verse poem "Sparklers" by Mark Vinz. Poetry enthusiasts begin with a discussion about using feeling and expression. They then take part in a vocal exercise that explores how words and phrases change depending on a reader's inflection.
- Practice prosody by gathering a collection of free-verse poems that learners can read, using expression to convey feelings
- Create a bulletin board displaying the unit's focus points—for this lesson, showcase prosody, vocal qualities, and the poem
- The fourth lesson of 16 in a unit focused on poetry
- Several copies per class member are required prior to conducting the lesson
- The plan is written in detail with a suggested script and teacher tips
- Links quickly guide you to specific lesson sections and resources