This Look for Patterns lesson plan also includes:
When it comes to teaching patterns, pool rules! Part three of a four-part unit involving a billiards simulation focuses on data handling skills and observing patterns. Partnered pupils prepare data representations, then use them to describe the behavior of a pool ball on tables of various dimensions.
- Use the lesson to develop a connection to the NGSS cross-cutting concept of patterns
- Have teams compare their data tables with one another, then further develop their rules for predicting the ball's movements
- Arrange for computer access if you plan to have pairs create their data tables on a spreadsheet
- The lesson provides learners with multiple ways of organizing the data
- Planning is easy, thanks to all of the printable materials and tips in the teacher's guide