This Love That Poem lesson plan also includes:
After reading the novel, Love That Dog by Sharon Creech, scholars review poetic devices such as metaphor and onomatopoeia. As a class, then small groups, pupils compare and contrast two poems from different authors, discuss how one author was inspired by the other, then share their findings with their peers. Independently, class members read additional poems and compose an original poem inspired by their favorite author. Young poets debut their original work.
- Visit the library before the lesson to spike interest
- Group learners heterogeneously to allow for peer assistance while writing, or homogeneously for a more focused approach while you roam
- Display finished products on a writing-themed bulletin board
- Participants require a copy of Love That Dog by Sharon Creech or project poems for all to see
- The lesson introduces pupils to a variety of poets
- Focusing on poetic devices boosts grammar skills