This Maniac Magee: Anticipation Guide lesson plan also includes:
Activate your learners' prior knowledge and experience with an anticipation guide for Jerry Spinelli's Maniac Magee. Kids answer eight questions about prejudice, skin color, and friendship before reading the book, and include reasons and personal examples to support their answers. After they finish the book, they revisit the guide to discuss the ways their beliefs have changes or stayed the same.
- Use the anticipation guide with any book that deals with prejudice as a theme
- Have kids discuss their answers in small groups to address any personal experiences or beliefs
- Prompt kids to choose one of their answers to modify into a longer narrative essay
- Thought-provoking questions are helpful for readers of all skill levels to connect to the text
- Reinforces the need for both personal and textual evidence when expressing an opinion
- Provides detailed instructions for classroom use