How adept are your pupils at determining the theme of a fictional text? Review what a theme is (and what it is not) before launching into some practice with a quick lesson. After taking a look at how to create a theme statement for a couple of fairy tales, pupils consider the big ideas in A Christmas Carol and examine various possible theme statements for the text.
- Pause before showing theme statements and invite learners to compose their own original theme statements that they can then compare to the ones listed on the following slides
- Use these slides in addition to other instruction on theme in order to fully cover the concept
- Have individuals take notes and then practice determining themes with other fairy tales or well-known stories
- Note that this presentation has been converted into a PDF document, so you cannot edit the slides or use PowerPoint to show them
- Provides a three-step process that learners can use to help them determine the theme of various texts
- Lays out several simple examples to demonstrate the concepts before moving into more complex theme analysis
- The presentation does not include any activities or exercises for students to complete