This Multicultural Multiplication lesson plan also includes:
Kids in Egypt are learning multiplication, too... but they're doing it a little differently. Take a multicultural approach to math using this lesson and featured videos showing kids how multiplication is taught in other countries (you'll love the Japanese trick). Kids assess what they see, fill out a graphic organizer, and create a presentation comparing the various strategies of multiplication.
- This method would be great for studying other basic operations, too
- Deepen understanding by asking kids to assess why these tricks work—they aren't magic!
- Depending on your software capabilities, use any presentation tool instead of the one specified in the lesson
- Part of the lesson asks kids to determine which "tricks" they might want to use. Be sure this is something you want to offer before embarking on this lesson
- All video links are provided
- Rubric for project is high quality
- The link to the atlas tool is broken