Why Lesson Planet?
Explore various methods of multiplying binomials. Learners simplify binomial times a binomial expressions using an area model, the FOIL method, and the distributive property. They make connections between the three methods to develop their understanding of the new concept.
- Use waffles or another graphic organizer to record new vocabulary with definitions and examples
- Lesson is written to be used with an overhead projector, but it can be adapted to utilize a different presentation format
- Consider avoiding the FOIL method as it is specific to binomials; you cannot extend the concept to other types of polynomials if you teach it in this manner
- A well-designed lesson that begins with a warm-up activity used to connect the new concept to prior learning
- Includes a set of classwork problems, homework problems, and an assessment
- Warm-Up Activity
- Activity - Part 1
- Activity - Part 2
- Multiplying Polynomials Quiz
- Homework Worksheet
- ELL Quiz