This Multiplying Two Fractions activity & project also includes:
Multiplying fractions doesn't need to be a mystery. An interesting task has scholars question why the standard algorithm for multiplying fractions works for all fractions. It requires them to read a conversation about a solution method and answer discussion questions on the topic. The method shows that multiplying by 2/3 is the same as multiplying by 2 and then taking by 1/3 of the product.
- Have the class act out the conversation as a skit
- Pupils should have experience with multiplying fractions with the standard algorithm
- Knowledge of unit fractions is necessary
- Includes reflection questions for instructors
- Indicates evidence of mathematical practices