A nature walk in the city? Sure! Partners use their science notebooks to record observation and illustrations of trees, birds, grasses, etc. that they discover on a walk through the neighborhood.
7 Views 8 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Have class members create a mural of their walk path and then place their illustrations on the mural
- Locate photos of what the neighborhood looked like in the past and project these images before or after the walk
- The lesson can be easily adapted for suburban or rural schools
- Pre-plan the route to ensure a safe and rich observation environment
- The exercise gets kids thinking about how nature survives even in an urban environment
- The lesson does not extend beyond initial observatons