This New Year's Eve: 1959, 1969, 1979, 1989 lesson plan also includes:
How was December 31, 1959 different than December 31, 2009? Young historians explore the political, social, and musical forces in the world made New Year's Eve a different experience during each decade of the 20th century. After groups research their assigned decade, they present an original New Year's Eve broadcast from the time period, detailing what events have occurred and using the relevant music.
- Extend the activity with projected New Year's Eve predictions for the future
- Have learners add a character journal entry from an ordinary citizen or prominent figure during their assigned year
- Lesson calls for TV and VCR stations, which you could easily replace with YouTube sessions at a class computer or tablet
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides supplemental links for each decade
- Learning objectives connect to social studies and language arts content standards