This Oh, Chute! lesson plan also includes:
Using a scare model of the a test vehicle developed by the Systems Architecture and Integration Office at NASA, groups determine the dimensions for a scale model of the parachute compartment. The groups also determine the volume of the tunnel that astronauts use to go from one module to another and calculate the new volume if the passage is scaled up.
- Review using the scale factor to find dimensions of a model
- Calculate volumes of different cylinders before starting the lesson
- Class should be familiar with finding the area of a circle and with using the Pythagorean Theorem
- Pictures provide a visual of the size change between the actual item and the model
- Individual practice problems determine whether the pupils understand the concept