This On the Eve of War: North vs. South lesson plan also includes:
The North and South had been on a collision course for years. Using primary source documents, including speeches from the American and Confederate presidents, learners consider how the regions were similar and different. Afterward, they consider the reasons for the years-long bloody conflict.
- Use a jigsaw approach to examine the state of the North and South at the start of the American Civil War
- Offer one of the included documents as a warm up or skills builder activity
- First in a three-lesson series on the Civil War
- Activities build primary source skills
- Sources include a mix of written and visual resources
- Many links in the lesson no longer work