At one time, America, too, was a colonial power. Using clips from talks from historians, class members explore how this happened with the 1898 Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American War. Afterward, they consider whether the United States is still an imperial power.
- Use scholar discussion of events in American imperialism to review concepts
- Off clips to inform a discussion of colonialism or imperialism
- Use the free classroom account with the following login credentials: Username: students, Password: C-SPANCLASSROOM
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Resource includes links to discussion questions and lesson plans
- Video clips offer varying viewpoints for pupils to consider