This Organic Names—Prefixes interactive also includes:
Preparing an organic chemistry unit and not quite sure where to begin? A prefixes activity can get you off to a good start! Nomenclature novices pair up the formulas of common organic prefixes with their names using interactive puzzles—a great, engaging way to teach the concept.
- Display examples of each prefix using common organic compounds
- Draw the phenyl group on the board so the class learns to associate the name with the shape
- The introductory nature of the resource makes it suitable for younger learners
- Arrange for individual computer use to complete the activity
- The resource uses both chemistry and reasoning skills to reinforce the content
- Users can check their progress as they work each puzzle