This Paper Workshop: Retrofitting Problem Statements lesson plan also includes:
What happens when you're in the middle of a research paper and a new argument arises from the research? Young writers learn to retrofit their problem statements in the middle of the research process with a lesson focused on argumentative writing. Working with groups, they discuss the ways to change existing problem statements to more accurately reflect the supporting evidence.
- Use in the middle of a research unit before learners have completed their final papers
- Assign a short argumentative paper to prepare for the lesson and a larger unit
- Connected to Kate L. Turabian's Student's Guide to Writing College Papers
- The final part of a 12-lesson unit on argumentative writing
- Encourages active listening and collaboration in the research process
- Includes all necessary graphic organizers and reference handouts