This Pi Line lesson plan also includes:
Make a connection between pi and the slope of a line with ratios. Groups measure the diameter and circumference of various round objects with tape. Using the tape, the teams create a scatter plot to plot the diameter versus the circumference. With the values of the data they collect, the teams determine the line of best fit and interpret the slope and y-intercept of the line as they relate to the context of the circles.
- Provide each group with a different set of circular objects and compare the slope of each group's lines
- Lead a discussion on the need for precision
- Individuals should have a basic understanding of slope of a proportional relationship
- Provides general directions on how to find the line of best fit using a calculator
- Includes suggestions for extensions
- The graphing tool included with the activity does not work