This Pinwheel lesson plan also includes:
Geometric figures are only a fold away. Using origami techniques, pupils create parallelograms, all while examining and calculating angle measurements and lengths of folds along the way. Learners connect eight parallelograms to form an octagon and compare its area to the area of the original piece of paper. As an extension, classmates convert the octagon into a pinwheel.
- Use properties of similarity to find lengths
- Individuals should know the Pythagorean Theorem to find side lengths
- Create a complete pinwheel before attempting the activity with the class
- Includes reflection questions to pose to students
- Contains suggestions for assessments