This Predicting the Future with Best-fit Lines handout & reference also includes:
What career will actually use this math? The activity has pupils determine a best-fit line for given data. Using their best-fit line, they then make predictions before discussing as a class what careers might use scatter plots and best-fit lines—a great way to make connections. The resource is the first of 10 activities connecting mathematics with careers.
- Provide instruction on how to determine best-fit lines prior to the activity
- Have the class research careers to see what mathematics they use
- Class members may not be familiar enough with some careers to understand the math those professionals use
- Provides two different forms, one that uses a graphing calculator and one that does not
- Includes links to career information