This Printing Books lesson plan also includes:
Math can help make sound business decisions. A contextual-based instructional activity challenges young scholars to write and graph linear equations to model the cost of printing textbooks at different companies. They analyze the associated costs and compare them to the needs of the school to make a cost-effective decision.
- Use as an introduction to systems of linear equations
- Contact different printing companies for their prices; include within the activity in addition to the companies provided
- Requires individual access to laptops with spreadsheet software
- Gives a contextual reference for slope and y-intercepts
- Provides diagrams of solution methods