This Propaganda in the Cold War lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
Propaganda posters from the Cold War era offer class members an opportunity to employ the OPTIC strategy (overview, parts, topic, interrelationships, conclusions) to analyze 12 documents. Expert groups examine a visual, and then jigsaw and share their findings. After a final whole-class discussion, individuals draft a journal reflection on the question, "What causes of the Cold War can be found in American print media of the time period?"
- Packet includes an AP DBQ scoring guide and sample essay
- Interesting mix of print media
- No attempt is made to connect the principles of the lesson to modern examples of visual propaganda
- Poorly structured central question
- More scaffolding needed to connect central question to activity
- Beware the typos!