Why Lesson Planet?
Find quality lesson planning resources, fast!
Share & remix collections to collaborate.
Organize your curriculum with collections. Easy!
Have time to be more creative & energetic with your students!
Math rocks! Cavern design teams determine the rankings of rock types based upon desirability points. The points are connected to the properties of the rocks and their usefulness in building a cavern.
6 Views 5 Downloads NGSS: Designed
- Allow the class to determine intermediate step values for the desirability chart
- Research man made caves in your area and find out the type of rock they were made from and why builders used them
- The class should have completed the activity on classification of rocks, or know about the classification and types of rocks
- The sixth installment in a series of eight
- The handout includes information about the hardness of a rock and its usefulness in building a cavern
- The lesson provides a suggested extension activity
- Ranking the Rocks
- Ranking the Rocks Worksheet (PDF)
- Ranking the Rocks Worksheet (Doc)
- Alabraska Poster Map
- Alabraska Geography Map
- Alabraska Geology Map