This Reaching Freedom: Life in the North interactive also includes:
As the slave narrator reaches the North, he is free but not safe. Young historians explore a scene that explains to learners that even though runaway slaves were free in the North, life was still difficult as they were discriminated against and could be captured and returned back to the South.
- Use a map to plot the journey the slave has taken
- Have individuals explore the interactive on their own, or explore it together as a class
- The fourth part of a five-part interactive that explores the Underground Railroad
- Clicking the video icon allows viewers to discover a more detailed history of fugitive slaves and starting life in Canada
- The extension activity allows for the comparison of both the North and the South before the Civil War
- Comes with audio, pictures, a slave narrative, teacher guide, writing worksheet, and narrative transcript