This Recognizing Native American Perspectives: Thanksgiving and the National Day of Mourning lesson plan also includes:
Thanksgiving—is it a national celebration or the National Day of Mourning? That depends on the point of view. Young historians analyze a speech written by Wamsutta James that presents a Native American view of Thanksgiving. The lesson ends with individuals sharing their thoughts about the holiday.
- If classroom computers are not available, provide participants with print copies of James' speech
- Have groups investigate other National Day of Mourning protests
- Be sure a protocol is in place for a safe, respectful discussion of different points of view
- Requires copies and access to computers with internet connections
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes links to the speech and to images of the National Day of Mourning observations