This Recursive and Explicit Formulas lesson plan also includes:
Ride the wave to understanding formulas. Groups conduct an experiment to determine how long it takes to complete "the Wave" using different numbers of people. Applying their results, they write recursive and explicit formulas, and then predict how long it would take for the entire school to perform "the Wave."
- If possible, get several classes together to perform the experiment and see if predictions are close to actual values
- A stopwatch is necessary for the activity
- Pupils should have experience with arithmetic sequences
- Includes a link to video clip introducing the context
- Lists detailed lesson procedures for smooth operation of the activity
- No worksheet or handout for the activity