This Recycle HD app also includes:
- Graphic & Image
- Join to access all included materials
Teach not only reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic, but also today's three Rs as well: reduce, reuse, and recycle! The reasons and ways we can be Earth-friendly are presented with images, text, and video to keep the attention of all types of learners!
On a diagram of the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle cycle, find the following features:
- Play: Series of questions requiring "yes" or "no" answers
- An information bar at the bottom of the screen: Tap on the arrow to read an overview of the importance of these practices
While exploring each feature, find:
- Informational text describing the method of handling waste materials
- A Did You Know? bar that provides additional facts
- Polaroid-style photos with captions
- Icons across the top leading to:
- Quiz: A multiple-choice, Bloom's taxonomy based quiz
- Camera: A quality slide show
- Video Recorder: A collection of pertinent videos
- Read to Me: Where user can opt to have text narrated
- Speaker: Turn background music and sound effects on or off
Learners may lose interest quickly
How techie do I need to be?
When your upper-elementary class is learning about environmentally friendly practices, Recycle HD can be used as a teaching or review tool. Design an entire recycling unit using this application and then follow it by collecting and donating clothing for reuse or gathering cans and bottles for recycling!
- One insignificant issue is that users are greeted with a message including the word "learnt" when entering any Quiz.
- This application does not sparkle as much as others even though it is fairly thoughtfully designed and educational. Learners that have shorter attention spans may lose interest quickly. Consider creating a worksheet for them to complete as they explore Recycle HD.
- Every Quiz question answered correctly earns a gold coin, and a smiling emoticon with a thumbs up appears with a barely-audible cheer. Users must tap an arrow beneath the face to move on to the next question. When a question is answered incorrectly, an emoticon appears, scratching its head. Users must then select a new answer until they choose the right one. After every five questions, the next of three levels is unlocked. A total score out of 15 is displayed after the three levels are completed.
- While using the Play feature the user's score and a trophy are displayed after 10 questions are answered.
- A variety of media that appeals to different learning styles
- Links to pertinent educational videos
- Easy to use
- Sound presentation of information
- Assessment quiz questions included
- Photographs are not very big
- No way of saving or sharing quiz scores
- Limited in interactive tasks