This Rediscovering Patterns in Pick's Theorem—Investigating Pick's Theorem lesson plan also includes:
Pick the area of figures wisely. Using a geoboard, learners investigate the relationship between the area of a figure and the perimeter and interior pins in the first of a three-part series. They use the pattern to develop the equation, Pick's Theorem, showing the relationship. They verify their equation holds for other geoboard figures.
- Have class members come up with figures of a given area by describing the possible combinations of interior and perimeter pins
- Interactive geoboard requires Flash
- The class should be comfortable finding areas of composite figures
- Provides a variety of geoboard setups to use, either paper, actual, or virtual
- Includes suggestions for extensions