Pupils may wish for all resonance structures to be created equal, but where is the fun in that? Scholars control the frequency, amplitude, damping constant, mass, and spring constant for many resonators. Then they identify transient behavior, the difference between driving and natural frequency, and how a phase varies above and below resonance.
- Connect the concepts to the cadence of runners, playground swings, and modern clocks
- Discuss why resonance is not to blame for the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, as many text books claim
- Requires Flash 9 or later
- Includes links to teacher-created resources and inquiry-based lessons that use the simulation
- Translates into more than 30 languages to accommodate all learners