Here is a very simple graphic organizer that you can use to introduce your youngsters to Ruby Bridges, the first African-American child to go to an all-white elementary school in the South.
239 Views 134 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Use this chart as a brief starter or exit activity during Black History Month
- Provide context for learners when reviewing each fact on the chart. For example, use a map to point out where Tylertown, Mississippi is and its location relative to where you are. Or, explain who in your pupils' lives might have been alive in 1954, when Ruby Bridges was born
- Learners should have a very basic understanding of the history of segregation in the United States before using this worksheet
- Supports learners in drawing personal connections with a noteworthy historical figure
- Easily accessible activity for young pupils