This Salty or Not: A Taste of the Bering Sea lesson plan also includes:
Many arctic mammals, such as polar bears, seals, and walruses, depend on the sea ice about 3 m thick for their habitat. Pupils investigate the properties of polar water and polar ice and their properties through readings, videos, and complete hands-on activities designed to further their learning.
- Include the background information through group readings, read aloud as a class, or assign as homework
- Activity asks the class to taste their samples; teachers may choose not to do this portion due to lab safety
- For best access to the lab and its linked resources, use this link: www.polartrec.com/resources/lesson/salty-or-not-a-taste-of-the-bering-sea
- Read through the description portion carefully as it is lengthy and a bit overwhelming
- Activity includes great background information for teachers and/or scholars
- Great link from ELA to science through the reading of the poem