This Simple Barometer activity & project also includes:
Barometers are instruments that measure atmospheric pressure, yet meteorologists use these to predict weather. In the activity, pairs or groups of learners make their own barometers and use them to determine if fair or rainy weather is on the horizon.
- Use the activity as one station on a day of weather stations
- Have pairs or groups of learners build barometers and check them every day for a week, recording data; compare data to the forecast to see if barometers are accurate
- Build and test a barometer before using it in class to determine where learners will struggle
- Activity comes with levels of inquiry near the end
- There are two extension ideas and extension questions at the end
- Barometer built does not measure atmospheric pressure in scientific units