This Solve Addition Problems: Using Partial Sums video also includes:
When learning to add large numbers, having a solid understanding of place value is essential. In the second lesson in this series, young mathematicians see how expanded notation can make addition of three- and four-digit numbers much easier. Prior to this lesson, be sure learners are fluent with adding multiples of ten, as this skill lies at the foundation of the partial sums method. This resource would serve nicely as a transition from a lesson series on place value to a teaching of the standard addition algorithm.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- A brief review of expanded notation supports students with learning the partial sums method of addition
- The partial sums method is clearly modeled with multiple examples
- Word problems solutions are supported with visual models
- Additional problems will be required to support learners with using the partial sums method