This Squares, Diagonals, and Square Roots—Corner to Corner lesson plan also includes:
Take me out to the ball game, if we don't measure the diagonal, it's a shame. Pupils investigate the diagonals of squares using the measurements of a baseball field as an example in the first of two lessons. Hopefully, they'll realize that the diagonal is sqrt(2) times the side length.
- If possible, take learners to an actual baseball field and have them measure the diagonal to compare with their predictions
- Familiarity with square roots is beneficial
- Scholars should be able to measure lengths to a specified accuracy
- Provides questions to use in discussion
- Includes an activity sheet for the lesson