Why Lesson Planet?
What was your age the first time you lost a tooth, broke a bone, or learned to ride a bike? Young mathematicians choose a set of data to examine with an educational instructional activity on statistical measurements. After they collect data and calculate the measures of central tendency and spread, they create a slideshow presentation with their calculations and include a description of the numbers.
- Guide pupils to select a data collection topic that would typically include outliers
- Extension possibilities: compare the calculations to each other or compare data collected from different class periods
- Requires access to spreadsheet and word processing software
- A small data size is collected, which doesn't create a reliable data set or description opportunities
- The lesson description contains tips and suggestions to enhance the lesson
- "Statistical Measurements" PowerPoint presentation for Teacher Use"
- “Worksheet: Statistical Measurements”
- “Sample Worksheet: Statistical Measurements”
- "Sample: Statistical Measurements in Excel"
- “Worksheet: Slides and Presentation Rubric”
- “Step Sheet: Creating a PowerPoint Presentation”
- “Step Sheet: Inserting Text and Clip Art or Graphics”
- “Step Sheet: Gathering and Inserting Electronic Images”
- “Step Sheet: Putting the Slide Show Together”
- “Step Sheet : Using a Projection Device”